impact of snowstorms on MW propagation

General "Science" forum - where you may ask questions about the science of propagation, as well as help answer the technical questions regarding propagation.

impact of snowstorms on MW propagation

Postby ku4a » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:59 pm

Some MW DXers believe that snowstorms enhance MW propagation. Is this true? If so, how does it work?
Chris
KU4A
ku4a
Friend

Postby AmericanDXer » Mon May 02, 2005 8:34 pm

I couldn't honestly tell you but weather does have an impact on radio waves. Since there is snow on the ground it might bounce a lot further than it normally would...kinda like clouds except what makes it bounce is the snow cover...
AmericanDXer

Postby ku4a » Fri May 06, 2005 1:21 pm

I have not observed any weather impact on the MW frequencies, so I thought maybe the "snowstorm" theory would prove to be an exception to the rule. Tomas would know the answer if anyone would :)
Chris
KU4A
ku4a
Friend

Postby kf4hou » Tue May 24, 2005 5:56 pm

hmm i wonder if them people are talking about signal strentgh or noise levels.. maybe both ? well i could say snow storms might make local noise levels lower which would enhance signal strentgh (SNR). not sure on MF but in UHF,SHF moisture in the air can scatter signals
kf4hou

Postby AmericanDXer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Longer nights help a bit also, however, I dont do a lot of MW listening anymore. I'm more into SW DXing.
AmericanDXer

Postby n6hb » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't know if there is theory to support the claim of enhanced propagation. However, I do remember my impressions from when I lived in a place where it actually snowed. During the snowstorm, static would be higher than normal (listening on wire beams or multi-wire diversity arrays). For a period of several hours after a storm ended, I would experience better reception due to a much lower noise floor (making signals seem to "pop"). Atmospheric noise was obviously lower during this time, but I believe there may have also been a reduction in man-made electrical noise due to the power lines being covered with snow. Maybe it made them less dry, and thus, less prone to arc?

Interesting topic.
"Life is too short for QRP!"
n6hb
Novice

Callsign: N6HB

Postby americandxer97 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:40 am

Yeah, the moisture does reduce the chance of them arcing. I read this on a few sites online the other night.
americandxer97

Return to Questions and Answers about Propagation