So, what's going on??

General "Science" forum - where you may ask questions about the science of propagation, as well as help answer the technical questions regarding propagation.

So, what's going on??

Postby Laggard » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:04 pm

Last night the K index was 1 and A was something like 20 and I still heard a tremendous amount of noise on all bands. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my radio.

It was that standard, lower pitched angry bee sound.

Please advise!!

Thanks.
Laggard

Re: So, what's going on??

Postby NW7US » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:22 pm

Laggard wrote:Last night the K index was 1 and A was something like 20 and I still heard a tremendous amount of noise on all bands. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my radio.

It was that standard, lower pitched angry bee sound.

Please advise!!

Thanks.

Well, typically, noise like that is not created from geomagnetic or solar activity. Noise is created by a number of things, such as lightening, electric motors, or even this new thing called, BPL. If you have noise on all bands, and it is a hash, then you might look for possible nearby sources. Computers, monitors, wall tranformers, or possibly even your local power company's power lines (maybe they are using BPL already in your area). One way that you might find it is to take a small portable AM radio (because it will usually have an internal loop bar antenna which is directional) and start following the signal until it gets very strong (if you can decrease the RF input to the radio, that would help. Some radios have a RF gain knob). When you think you are close to the source, look for possible culprits. If it is the power line, call the power company. The FCC requires that power companies fix RF problems on their hardware.

Hope that helps.
73, de NW7US (Tomas David Hood)
.. Contributing editor, Propagation Columns in:
.... CQ Magazine, CQ VHF Quarterly, Popular Communications Magazine

Some of my websites:
My Amateur Radio hobby... | YouTube - NW7US Channel
SunspotWatch.com | NW7US on Facebook | Space Weather and Radio on Facebook
NW7US
Site Admin

Callsign: NW7US
Twitter: @NW7US
YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/NW7US

Postby Laggard » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. Normally if I hear that type of noise, it will only be on a few bands. Whatever was causing me problems this morning has ended as things are really quiet now.
Laggard

Postby ku4a » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:22 pm

Also keep in mind that the K-index, and especially the A-index, are really views into a rear-view mirror. A flare or CME can have rapid impact on the bands, but doesn't show up in the K or A index until the next reporting period occurs.
Chris
KU4A
ku4a
Friend

Return to Questions and Answers about Propagation