Help with New / Old DX-300

General SWLing forum. Topics include the reception of International Broadcast Stations, Utility Stations, and other HF signals, and so forth.

Help with New / Old DX-300

Postby K2702 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am

I just bought this for $66.00 (E-Bay)and would like to use it for SW, not even sure if it works properly, but if it does work properly where do I need to begin?
Thanks for your Help!
The Newbie

Realistic Receiver DX-300
K2702
Novice

Re: Help with New / Old DX-300

Postby K5TEN » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Here's the specs from the web:

General Coverage Communications Receiver Rating (1-5): H (1)
Made In: Japan 1979-1980 Voltages: 120 VAC 12 VDC
Coverage: 10-30000 kHz Readout: Digital LED 1.
Modes: AM/LSB/USB-CW Selectivity: 6 kHz
Circuit: Triple Conversion Physical: 14.2x6.5x9.25" 14 Lbs.
Features: ¼" Head. Jack, S-Meter, Mute Line, ANL, Dial Lamp, Standby, Fine Tuning, Audio Filter, Antenna Trimmer, AGC, RF Gain Preselector, Attenuator, Key Input Jack, Dial Lamp Switch.

New Price: $380 Used Price: $120-160
Comments: Can hold eight "C" cells for portable operation. This model lacked adequate stability and image rejection. Note that the switch for Wide/Normal/Narrow is merely an audio filter circuit and not an IF filter selection.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From what I remember, it was RS's first digital readout SW reciever. The DX-200 was an analog readout receiver. The production run was pretty short because it got panned in reviews of the day. It DID have SSB and CW mode reception. You did get a good deal on it.

Getting started?

Plug it in. If it lights up and the digital display lights up it's a good start.

Look on the back for what the antenna input is. Is it a screw lug terminal or a SO-239 (looks like a 1/2" or so circular nipple with "righty-tighty" screw on rows)?. If it's a coax connection it's worth spending $24 bucks for 50' of coax and building a nice dipole antenna from wire. (more details on that depending on your reply).

If it's a simple one or two screws lug antenna terminal, you can take whatever (the longer the better) wire you have handy--#14 stranded is about the easiest to work with--and attach it between the radio and the screw and screw the screw down onto the wire medium tight, and run the other end out a window and to whatever nearby handy tree or structure NOT NEAR POWERLINES and get it as high as possible.

Come back inside and turn the radio on. First check the local AM band (530 to 1700 kHz) and see if you are getting your local AMs. If they are nice and loud you have a great start. If not, or you don't even hear them at all then there's a problem.

If the AMs were loud you now can test reception on other bands. During the day, bands from 9 mHz to 15 mHz are a good start to tune around on AM mode. During hours of darkness, the 1.6 mHz to 12 mHz bands are a good place to tune around. If at night you tune around 5.800 to 6.300 mHz you should hear MANY strong stations in AM mode. If you tune around 7.000 to 7.300 mHz on SSB mode you should hear some loud ham signals on morse code and SSB voice as well.

Well...how'd it go?

Best of luck and WELCOME!

Bruce
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
SWL: WDX9KJX And the "WDX9KJX Short Wave Monitoring Service" from 1973 to 1986
1st SW QSL: "Happy Station" Radio Nederland Wereldoemroep, Holland, 1974
2nd SW QSL: "The Voice of Nigeria" Lagos, 1974
3rd SW QSL: "Radio Moscow" USSR
http://m3jzt.proboards82.com/index.cgi
K5TEN
Motivated

Callsign: K5TEN

Postby K2702 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 am

Bruce, thanks for the reply.

I printed a Manual off the internet tonight and will read over it thoroughly, I will keep you posted on my progress, and I’m sure I’ll have many more questions.

Thanks again,
Jeff
K2702
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Hey Jeff---what kind of antenna connector/jack/terminal does that radio have?

Bruced
ex-KA0NIU, ex-KA9SOX, now K5TEN (117 countries confirmed--Submitting for DXCC soon! WOOT!)
K5TEN
Motivated

Postby K2702 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:59 pm

I have not received the radio yet, but this is what was in the description “The radio also has a PL-259 coax connector and a screw-tapped connector for a twin-lead antenna”
K2702
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 pm

K2702 wrote:I have not received the radio yet, but this is what was in the description “The radio also has a PL-259 coax connector and a screw-tapped connector for a twin-lead antenna”

SWEET!!!!!!

Now you have TWO options for antennas. Lucky YOU! Most SWL's have only one option for an antenna at a time unless they use an outboard antenna switch. I wish my Realistic DX-160 had a SO-239 connector on it.

Well...now is the time to contemplate your antenna options so you are ready when the rig arrives.

You can take a $5,000 new Icom top-of-the-line receiver and hook it up to a crappy antenna and you will still be dissapointed. Take a rig like yours and hook it up to a well thought out well installed antenna and you will be far happier than the guy who bought the top-of-the-line rig and never bothered to put up a decent antenna. The ANTENNA---is the most importaint part of your soon to be station.

If you need help with antenna design, construction, and getting it up as high as possible, come back and let us know!

Bruce
K5TEN
Motivated

Postby K2702 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 am

Thanks for the offer and I’ll need all the help I can get with an Antenna.
I have read much and think I should start with a Long Wire antenna 300’ to 500’ or so, I live on two acres mostly open so stringing one up would not be a problem. The one problem I might have however is a 300’ active AT&T tower about 75 to 100 yards from my house, not sure how it will play into the game, any suggestions you have would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
K2702
Novice

Postby K5TEN » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:58 pm

A longwire like that should work just fine. The only thing better would be a loop.

The AT&T tower (cell phone tower, I'm guessing) shouldn't give you any problems at all. Cell phones operate at microwave and near-microwave frequencies...so far up in the radio spectrum (880 to say 1.5 gHz --read that GIGA-hertz) away from short wave that you should get no interference from it at all. I live on a mountainside and have 2 cell towers within a half mile of me. Not so much as a peep of interference.

WTG on having some real estate to put up some wire--most SWL's are green with envy. : )

Bruce

PS---Please let the board know what "catches" you are hearing. I bet you get some doozies with that skywire!
K5TEN
Motivated

Postby K2702 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Well I just received the radio today and the packing or LACK their of was very bad to say the least, in any case it does power up and I have picked up local AM channels with no more than 2’ wire antenna.
Tomorrow I will try to put up an antenna outside and see what I here.
K2702
Novice

Postby K2702 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Ok getting somewhat discouraged, I can pick up AM channels like gang busters but cannot find anything else to save my life. I currently have a 25’ antenna in side, don’t know if it’s enough or not.
Where should I be listening? CSB/CW or USB/CW and what MHZ should prove to be the most productive.
What am I listing for? Any Thing! Overseas, HAM, Shortwave, would just like to hear something other than AM.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your Help!!!
K2702
Novice

Next

Return to General Shortwave Radio Discussions